|Committee Chair||Gerry Tiede||604-538-8967|
To the 2014 BCRTA AGM September 26, 2014
A presentation to the Kootenay Columbia, Kootenay Lake West and Boundary Branches of the RTA, March 2013
Share with your colleagues.
presentation by Gerry Tiede, Chair
The Teachers' Pension Plan is a partnership governed by the Joint Trust Agreement between the Government of British Columbia (Plan Employer Partner) and the BC Teachers' Federation (Plan Member Partner). This Joint Trust Agreement came into effect on April 4, 2001.
The application form is available by clicking here
And for more information click here
EHC & Dental Booklet - Plan Details
Pacific Blue Cross:
Toll Free in BC 1.888.275.4672
Toll Free elsewhere in Canada 1.888.873.9200
If you are a current member of a Blue Cross plan, you might want to take a careful look at Caresnet and how it can benefit you
click here to access Pacific Blue Cross website
BCTF Inflation Adjustment Account (IAA) Consultation 2010
Our Pension's inflation adjustment: The future is worth thinking about!
Members of the BCTF Executive Committee and the BCTF Pensions Committee visited each BCTF local to provide information to ALL Teachers' Pension Plan members, active and retired. They received input into possible changes to our pension plan and the provision of indexing and benefits through the Inflation Adjustment Account (IAA).
The 2010 BCTF AGM dealt with the immediate objective to achieve sustainable indexing by supporting the following options:
* Increase active teachers contribution to the IAA by 1%,
* Remove the Extended Health Benefits subsidy,
* Provide indexing only from age 60,
* Index only the lifetime portion of the pension.
Committee members: Patricia Clough, Al Cornes, Dale Lauber, Arnie Lambert, Carolyn Prellwitz, Grace Wilson, Gerry Tiede(Chair).Main Activities of the committee:
1. Support and defend the defined benefits of the TPP. Articles were submitted and published in Postscript with relevant information about our defined benefit pension plan.
2. Pension committee chair made presentations in 14 local RTA organizations. The majority of the presentations were on saving members money by getting the maximum value from their health insurance plans and claiming all eligible expenses on income tax returns.
3. Lobbied Johnson Insurance for improvements to MEDOC such as the removal of some pre-existing conditions from their list of conditions that moves a person to a higher rate category.
4. Coordinate responses to the Recommendations that came to the BCTF AGM regarding
5. The Pension and Benefits gave input to our Table Officers in preparation for a meeting with the Chair and Vice Chair of the Teachers’ Pension Board of Trustees regarding the increase to EHC premiums.
Teachers’ Pension Plan
Patricia Clough and Gerry Tiede attend all meetings of the Teachers’ Pension Plan Advisory Committee (TPPAC) to receive reports and to provide input concerning our members’ interests in the plan. Membership in TPPAC includes the 5 member appointed Trustees, BCTF, Principals, Superintendents and retired member representatives. Patricia Clough and Gerry Tiede also attend the BCTF Pension Committee meetings for the same purposes.
The Teachers’ Pension Plan provided a cost-of-living increase of 1.1% this past January 1st. This welcome news was tempered by the increase of 22% to the Extended Health Care premiums for the coverage administered by the TPP.
• MEDOC policies in force (March 2014) – 9,243 plus 724 BCTF policies
• Guaranteed Life insurance - 21
• Term Life Insurance - 17
• Long-Term Care – 58
• Home insurance – 1.138
• EHC Plan 2 - for members who are not eligible for the TPP EHC program. – 24
• Johnson Insurance initiated a Pet Care insurance program at our 2013 AGMRespectfully submitted
Gerry Tiede, Chair
BCTF 2010 AGM report; Tips for Planning a Trip; Johnson enhances Identity Theft coverage with additonal Identity Restoration benefits
Pension Reform; Teachers' Pension Plan EHB plan Update
Travel Information/Insurance; Discount Opportunities; MEDOC Travel Insurance Renewal
Ken Smith (1940 - 2010); Pension payment dates; Long Term Care and Benefits of Care Coordination; Responsible Investing Report (April 2008 - March 2009); Responsible Investing; Ken Smith 1940 - 2010
Have your say! (Pension Consultation); Deflation and your pension; A Medical Lesson Learned; Trip Cancellation coverage - Why is it automatically included in my policy?; Honesty is the best policy when completing the Health Option Questionnaire; Tax Tips for Retirees
My Pension - What if i die?
Pension Payment Dates; The Markets and your Pension Plan; Tax Time Nears; RRIF Rules Change; Loss of RRIF value may be re-gained; Tax-Free Savings Accounts
Report of the (ACER-CART) Pension and Retirement Income Committee; Financial Market Turmoil; Inflation?; Single Trip Travel Insurance
The Tax Free Savings Account; Good Intentions, or just Smoke?
Travel discounts available for trips to specialists; Information Services for Seniors; Pension and Benefits Information; Changing pension options; Save the EHB and Dental plans; Living with the new Dental Plan; The information you need is a click away (CARESnet); Yesterday, your coverage was great. Today, it's gone platinum (Home Insurance)
What is a Trustee; Government and Alberta Teachers reach Agreement; Is Inflation Higher for Seniors?; Pension Payment Dates