Guide to BCRTA Zone Meetings
- To improve communications among the branches, and between branches and directors.
- To recognize and build on branch presidents’ experience and expertise.
- To enhance the BCRTA’s ability to provide services to its members.
- To strengthen BCRTA networks in order to be more effective in our work on behalf of our members.
Implications of the 2008-09, 2010 and 2014 AGM motions
- If a majority of presidents in a zone decides not to participate, no meeting will be called.
- A branch president may designate a substitute to attend in his/her place, at BCRTA expense.
- The BCRTA will also fund the attendance of a second representative from each branch.
- Zone meetings are not official parts of the BCRTA decision-making structure. A resolution coming out of a zone meeting may be forwarded as a recommendation from the zone for consideration by the Board of Directors.
3 Director attendance
At least one director will be assigned to each zone.
4 Meeting location
A zone meeting must be held within its geographic area, except those zones in which the majority of branch representatives would have to travel more than 150 km to attend a meeting at a common location within the zone may organize a zone meeting in conjunction with the BCRTA AGM.
5 Cooperative planning
Date, time, place and agenda should be cooperatively planned among the participating branch presidents and zone directors.
- BCRTA rules and rates for expense reimbursement apply.
- Claimable expenses guide for zone meetings:
- for all BCRTA-paid participants: travel, lunch, and coffee/tea/snacks at the meeting
- for those who drive 175-249km to the meeting site: 1 night hotel + dinner+ breakfast
- for those who drive 250+ km to the meeting site: 2 nights hotel + 2 dinners+ 2 breakfasts
- the most time- and cost-effective mode of travel will be reimbursed, and car-pooling is expected where it is reasonably possible.
- the rate for hotel accommodation shall be no more than $145.00 plus taxes per night.
6 Branch presidents (or their designates)
- are asked to bring to their Zone Meetings information about their branch operations and activities, to share with other meeting participants;
- should share with their executive committees and their branch members matters of interest arising at their Zone Meetings; and may be asked to cooperate in provincial BCRTA activities, projects or campaigns.
BCRTA Zones 2020-2021
Peace River North
Peace River South
Shuswap & District
|North & Central Island||Directors||Kootenays||Directors|
Van. Is. North
Kootenay Lake West
Lower Vancouver Is.
The Board may approve the attendance of representatives of “virtual” branches.
- Welcome, introductions
- Preliminaries (descriptions, explanations)
- Meeting facilities
- Expense claims
- Evaluation forms
- Adoption of the agenda
- Sharing (info. about the branches; ideas that might help)
- Membership count
- Executive positions (and recruiting methods for Exec)
- Communication method(s) with members (including reaching out to isolated members)
- Number and types of meetings each year
- Member recruitment and retention activities
- Scholarships, bursaries, fundraising – compliance with tax and gaming rules
- Activity successes, highlights, etc.
- BCRTA director’s report/update
- Office and staff-services
- Board of Directors-current objectives, activities
- Pensions and Benefits
- Insurances (incl. travel medical, home, long term care)
- Committees: Membership, Heritage, Member Wellbeing, Advocacy, Excellence in Public Education, Finance, Postscript, Communications
- Affiliations: RR Smith, ACER/CART, COSCO, NPF
- Are there any issues affecting your members that you think the BCRTA ought to tackle provincially?
- Evaluation of the meeting
BCRTA ZONE MEETING EVALUATION
(Please complete after the meeting and hand-in to your zone director.)
Zone: __________________ Date of Meeting: _________________
Your Branch: _______________ Your Name: ___________________
Your comments are appreciated on each of the following:
Date and time of meeting
Suitability/adequacy of the meeting location
Bodily comforts (room temperature, refreshments, lunch arrangements, etc.)
General comments about this meeting: