Education – School Program Leader
School Program Leaders engage K-4 students in interactive outdoor field trips at the Garden. Leaders work with small groups of children during 90-minute programs in the fall and spring, rain or shine. New leaders receive hands-on training in September and March, plus ample time to shadow experienced leaders before taking their own groups.
- Lead 90-minute environmental education programs for groups of school children during fall and spring, rain or shine.
- Facilitate a safe, fun, and high quality learning experience for students, teachers and chaperones
- Conduct programs in accordance with stated educational objectives in content and style
Skills, Attitudes, Knowledge Required:
- A love of nature and respect for the environment, with knowledge of ecology or gardening preferred
- Previous experience working with children ages 5-12 is desirable
- Confident and reliable communicator with children, volunteer team, and staff
- Patient, positive, flexible, fun-loving, and willing to regularly reflect upon personal performance and skill development
- Interested in ongoing training and education, both as conducted by VanDusen and independently
- Comfortable standing, walking, and kneeling throughout the shift
- Must pass a criminal record background check
Training and Orientation:
- Orientation to VanDusen Garden and the roles volunteers play at the VBGA: September 10th (time to be determined)
- Shadow Dates (chosen at training) – September 10th -17th, 2018
- Role specific training in group management, interpretation skills, program content and teaching methodology will take place Monday September 10th – Friday September 14th from 9:30am-3:00pm each day. Note, we may be able to make alternate arrangements for suitable candidates who are unable to attend all training sessions.
- There will also be ample time to shadow experienced leaders and co-teach before taking out own groups. Shadowing dates will be chosen during training.
- One shift per week: 9:30am – 12pm or 12pm – 2:30pm weekdays Oct- Nov, and April-June. Plus, training in September and March as noted above
- A minimum of one year commitment
Supervisory Relationships/liaison: Candidate will be supervised by, and liaise with, the School Programs Coordinator and the Director, Education.
Authority/Decision Making: Must be comfortable making decisions and problem solving with minimal supervision.
- An opportunity to inspire and educate children
- Enhance teaching, and leadership skills
- Opportunity to work with educational professionals in a well-respected non-profit
- Contribute your time and talents in an impactful way for a worthwhile cause
- Reference letter
[av_button label=’Apply Here’ link=’manually,https://app.betterimpact.com/PublicOrganization/5757625f-27eb-4d6c-9df5-ff3182c978da/Activity/c3b9287f-786f-41ef-afcc-3e32dbb942c4/1′ link_target=’_blank’ size=’large’ position=’center’ label_display=” icon_select=’yes’ icon_hover=’aviaTBicon_hover’ icon=’ue837′ font=’entypo-fontello’ color=’theme-color’ custom_bg=’#444444′ custom_font=’#ffffff’ av_uid=’av-2wlhs0′ custom_class=” admin_preview_bg=”]