Excellence in Public Education Committee November 2017
At our first meeting of the year, we welcomed new committee member, Lynn Farquarhson.
Our committee objectives were set and were then approved by the Board of Directors at the October meeting. The Excellence in Public Education Committee objectives for 2017-2018 are to:
- Coordinate the administration, adjudication, presentation and publication of the intergenerational Golden Star Awards Program on behalf of the BCRTA
- Continue to write articles that celebrate the excellence of the contributions made to the BCRTA and/or ACER/CART by living past presidents
- Explore ways to identify and recognize the activities of teachers, administrators and others who promote excellence in public education
- Continue to attend monthly meetings of First Call and to support its initiatives, as appropriate
- Encourage retired teachers to exercise their franchise in the best interest of public education
- Continue monitoring the funding of public education in BC
Any suggestions as to how the Committee can meet these objectives are most welcome, please email email@example.com.
We will have up dated Golden Star application forms on the new and improved BCRTA website and will have archived information on all winners since the first awards were made in 2010. As a reminder, the 2017 Golden Star winners were:
BCRTA Golden Star Awards
- Arrow Heights Elementary School, Revelstoke, BC.
Amber Thompson, Teacher, Grade 3/4.
Program Name: Mt. Cartier Court Garden Partnership
- Belmont Elementary School, Langley, BC.
Jason Proulx, Teacher, Grade 3.
Program Name: Woodworking in Grade 3
- Fraserview Learning Centre, Mission, BC.
Sandra Norum, Teacher, Grade 7-12.
Program Name: Fraserview Learning Centre Partnership with Lifetime Learners
- Muheim Memorial Elementary School, Smithers, BC.
Liaiana Pesce, Teacher, Grade 4/5.
Program Name: Meadows and Muheim Buddy Program
- Quilchena Elementary School, Richmond, BC.
Andrew Livingston and Kevin Vines, Teachers, Grade 6/7.
Program Name: Forming Grand Pal Relationships
Legion Golden Star Winner
- W. L. Seaton Secondary School, Vernon, BC.
Yvonne Fiala, Teacher, Grade 11 French Immersion SS 11.
Program Name: Vernon WWI Veterans/ No Stone Left Alone
There will be articles in the next several issues of PostScript featuring each of the 2017 winners.
We look forward to another busy year and hope that BCRTA members will help promote the Golden Star awards program with their practicing teacher colleagues.